In what ways do you think a couple and family could
benefit from having a weekly couple council? Moreover, what are the
specific principles highlighted by Elder Ballard that would especially be
relevant and applicable to a couple council?
I think a weekly council is a brilliant idea. I think it gives a couple a change to come together on the
goals that they have been working on individually and collectively. I think it
gives each person a chance
to share their ideas, thoughts, concerns, hopes, etc. It lets everyone
be heard and make a contribution to the group. It provides people with the
opportunity to receive inspiration
from others. I know that I often get greater insight when I listen to my husband
comment on my thoughts, goals, etc. Usually when we combine our efforts we get
great results or experience a lot of synergy. It truly energizes us when we can
brainstorm and plan things out together. My husband has many gifts and talents
that I don’t have and vice versa. It give us to chance to
share, help, and serve one another.
In Elder
Ballard’s book, I found it quite fascinating the process which
the councils counsel together. They seek to work together and create unity. I think that is the part that stands out to me as
the most important aspect of a council. I think striving for unity is key. It
allows all involved to be heard and requires members to be respectful and
understanding. When the members of the council are allowed to freely and openly
share their thoughts and feelings, it gives others a chance to see a new
perspective. We all have bits and truth as is suggested by Elder Ucthdorf from
a talk about truth. We all have bits of truth and if we can share our truth
with others, it not only enlarges their truth, but it enlarges our own truth as
well. I love being able to see the difference of opinion or points of view of
another person. I consider that they see something that I don’t, so listening and seeking to
understand may broaden my own understanding. All are edified as I am
sure this would be Christ’s goal. He wants us all to grow, learn, and develop.
This can best be accomplished if we are all working together. That unity is
vital to the success of the gospel and our own goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment