Discussion Board: Doctrine of Eternal Marriage
The
Family
A
Proclamation
to the
World
The First Presidency and Council of
the Twelve Apostles
of The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints
“We, the First Presidency and the
Council of the Twelve
Apostles of The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints,
solemnly proclaim that marriage
between a man and a
woman is ordained of God and that
the family is central to
the Creator’s plan for the eternal
destiny of His children…” (excerpt)
*My response to excerpts from the
Proclamation and other material are my views. They are strictly mine and are
based upon my own beliefs and perspective.
“This keynote sentence
of the proclamation teaches us much about the doctrinal significance of
marriage and emphasizes the primacy of marriage and family in the Father’s
plan. Righteous marriage is a commandment and an essential step in the process
of creating a loving family relationship that can be perpetuated beyond the
grave” (Marriage Is Essential To His Eternal
Plan, Elder David A. Bednar Ensign, Jun 2006, 82-87).
Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and the family is central to His Plan. As I contemplate
the doctrine of Eternal Marriage, I consider my own marriage in relation to my
beliefs. I married a man for time and all eternity in an LDS temple (The Church
of Latter-Day Saints temple). We were able to be married for time and all eternity
because of the Priesthood and sealing powers that have been given to men on
earth.
As I studied about the Priesthood
and sealing keys, I gained greater insight into understanding what it means.
The Priesthood
and sealing powers have been restored on earth:
“What a glorious thing it is to know that the Lord has
offered to each of us the fullness of the priesthood, and has promised us that
if we will receive this priesthood and magnify our callings, we shall gain an
everlasting inheritance with him in his kingdom!... the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great
and dreadful day of the Lord." (D&C 2:1.)
To prepare the way for
the coming of Elijah and the restoration of the sealing power, because of which
men may receive the fullness of the priesthood, John the Baptist came in May of
1829 and conferred upon Joseph and Oliver the Aaronic Priesthood. A short time
later Peter, James, and John came and gave them the Melchizedek Priesthood. Then
on April 3, 1836, in the Kirtland Temple, Elijah the prophet returned and
bestowed upon them the sealing power, the power to use the priesthood to bind
on earth and seal in heaven” (The Fulness
of the Priesthood, President Joseph
Fielding Smith Improvement Era, June 1970, p.65-66).
Having this power and authority on
earth allows us to have the saving ordinances that we need so that we can be
saved and be sealed to our families for eternity. I am grateful for the
ordinances of baptism and the ordinances of the temple that allow us to
covenant with God to follow Him and to be sealed to our families. The promises
are sure.
I did make special promises to God and
my husband when I accepted the covenants that I made in God’s temple. I
covenanted to be loyal, faithful, and true to my husband. I know that in this
life there are many things that could potentially threaten the union between my
husband and I. There are many “wolves” as Elder Bruce C. Hafen of the Seventy
described in his address, Covenant
Marriage. The wolves listed are: natural adversity, our own imperfections, and
excessive individualism. These wolves are centered on a “me” complex. They are
self-directed. As I ponder on this idea, I see that as I keep my covenants, I
turn from the “me” focus towards a “we’ focus. I begin to see that in marriage
I am working alongside my husband in a partnership. We are doing these things
together. I was separate and alone before and did things on my own. After
marriage, it moves from that state to a partnered and eternal union. We will do
things together as Adam and Eve did. They worked together, they counseled
together and they reared children together. I know that as we continue to stay
and work together to strengthen our marriage that the covenants we made will help
our union stay strong. The covenants we made together have helped us in the
past when we allowed adversity and self-concern cloud our judgment. We had to
move from the individualism as was explained by Elder Hafen to a collective “we”
attitude and focus. I know that we cannot progress without each other.
Elder Bednar states, “…Eve became Adam’s companion and helpmeet. The unique
combination of spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional capacities of both
males and females were needed to implement the plan of happiness. Alone,
neither the man nor the woman could fulfill the purposes of his or her creation.
By divine design, men and women are intended to progress together toward
perfection and a fullness of glory.
Because of their
distinctive temperaments and capacities, males and females each bring to a
marriage relationship unique perspectives and experiences. The man and the woman
contribute differently but equally to a oneness and a unity that can be
achieved in no other way. The man completes and perfects the woman and the
woman completes and perfects the man as they learn from and mutually strengthen
and bless each other. “Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman
without the man, in the Lord” (1 Cor. 11:11; italics added) (Marriage Is Essential To His Eternal Plan,
Elder David A. Bednar Ensign, Jun 2006, 82-87).
“We frequently speak about
and highlight marriage as a fundamental unit of society, as the foundation of a
strong nation, and as a vital sociological and cultural institution. But the
restored gospel helps us to understand that it is so much more!” (Marriage Is Essential To His Eternal Plan,
Elder David A. Bednar Ensign, Jun 2006, 82-87).
I know that the covenants I made to
my husband in the temple are true and real. They stay with me every single day.
I know that my marriage has benefited from the fact that we have covenanted
with each other. We no longer are separate. We are bound together for time and
all eternity. This knowledge helps us become one. We are united and know that
this union will help us as we go forward in this life. We are no longer focused
on the “me” status that we had as children and single adults. We are focused on
the “we” status that we now have. We will continue to strengthen our union, and
we know that this will in turn impact our future family and society.
Sources:
Bednar,
David
A. “Marriage Is Essential To His
Eternal Plan,” Ensign. The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Jun
2006. Print.
Hafen, Bruce C., “Covenant Marriage,”
Ensign, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
Day Saints, Nov 1996, 26. Print.
Hinkley, Gordon B. “The Family: A
Proclamation to the World”. The First Presidency
and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints.
September 1995. Print.
Smith, Joseph Fielding. “The Fulness of
the Priesthood”, The Improvement Era, The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints. June 1970, p 65-66. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment